Brodetto or brudet is a dinnertime staple
up and down the coast. You can use any type of fish but it's a great
way to prepare stronger-flavoured fish such as grouper or tuna. Avoid
thin filets and don't be afraid to mix fish.
1 kg. mixed fish
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato purée mixed with 1/2 cup water
2 tblsp wine vinegar
1 tblsp Vegeta*
2 tblsp chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste
- Cut fish into equal size chunks and flour lightly.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and quickly fry the fish
on all sides.
- Remove the fish and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the tomato mixture and the garlic and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar mixture, the fish, Vegeta and parsley and cook over
medium heat without stirring until the fish is done (about 10 minutes).
Serve with chunks of polenta.
Vegeta online from Amazon